David Stauffer, CSP, ARM - Curriculum Vitae
Safety Compliance Solutions, LLC
Contact Number 317-509-5546
Workplace and Transportation Safety Consultant, Expert Witness, Trainer, and Safety Presenter
David Stauffer is a Certified Safety Professional with over 25 years’ experience in the safety field. David started his safety professional career after the Army and Collage with a large municipality in the Midwest before working his way up through the ranks of management in the waste collection, warehousing, transportation, and service industries all in the capacity of managing and directing safety.
As a result, David brings an unparalleled insight to his role as a consultant and expert witness for law firms. He is objectively qualified to provide technical and practical safety expertise for litigation cases involving serious injuries, large losses, and fatalities.
David is a creative, resourceful, and cost-effective leader committed to excellence. As a consultant and expert witness, he brings years of valuable experience and keen insight to each project. He has worked with Defense and Plaintiff attorneys who need an objective expert to help navigate the complex and voluminous discovery process.
David Stauffer’s safety experience includes working with companies in building maintenance, transportation, waste disposal, construction, and warehousing/logistic industries. His background experience includes safety analysis, industrial safety, slips trips falls, safety inspections, incident investigation, workplace safety, site safety hazards identification, ergonomics, safety engineering, OSHA compliance, and multi-employer work site safety responsibility.
Mr. Stauffer’s goal is to provide professional safety services as a consultant & safety expert witness for law firms.
- Board Certified Safety Professional (CSP) Board of Certified Safety Professionals Serial No. 16057
- Associate in Risk Management (ARM) - Insurance Institute of America
- Advanced Safety Certificate (ASC) National Safety Council
- OSHA (500) for General Industry Trainer Certificate
- OSHA10 Hour General Industry Outreach Training Course Certificate
- OSHA 30 Hour General Industry Outreach Training Course Certificate
- OSHA 10 Hour Construction Industry Outreach Training Course Certificate
Bachelor of Science: Political Science - Illinois State University, 1990
PROFESSIONAL SAFETY CONSULTING EXPERIENCE
Safety Compliance Solutions, LLC – Established 3/10/2010 - Present
- Expert witness and professional safety consulting services which covers consultation with attorneys for expertise in safety/transportation litigations to include investigations, field work, research, reports, affidavits, interruptions of regulations, deposition testimony and trial testimony.
- Beginning in 2008, I have been hired on as an expert witness with numerous Law Offices. I have performed expert witness work in cases residing in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, Texas, Alabama, and Illinois. The cases where related within my field of expertise- warehousing, waste collection, transportation, and construction industry.
- I have been retained in over 35 cases. I have been disposed in court cases 10 times and I have experience in testifying in court in 5 cases.
- Safety Director for second shift at Riley Hospital Simon Tower Project. Complete daily safety inspections. Report and correct unsafe issues. Provide training and program development on safety related items.
- Implemented safety, environmental, and transportation audit programs. These programs ensured that all required regulatory environmental and safety standards were in place and identified potential risks/exposures. This was completed for the following companies: Morgan Tire, Mawson & Mawson, Inc., Arrotin Plastic Material. Inc., Jack Gray Transport, and Imlach Movers.
- Completed Emergency Management Preparedness Plans, audited sites, DQ File Audit, and developed loss prevention programs for 7th Transport Company and CSU Transport, Inc.
- Conducted industrial hygiene monitoring to determine employees’ exposures and provided needed corrective action for project task for DSC Logistics.
- Developed and instructed Safety/Transportation for Two Men and a Truck employee at their home office in Lansing, MI. The training sessions were titled Safety Awareness/Leadership Training and Advanced Drivers Training. Both were designed to focus on managing the strict safety/transportation compliance issues the company requires.
- Facilitated Safety Awareness Training for FDR Safety that focused on Behavior Motivation at Granite City Steel, Inc. The training was an 8 Hour high energy, fast-paced session that was designed to increase awareness and change poor unsafe work attitudes/behaviors to motivating positive safe work habits.
- Conducted safety and risk control Insurance Audits for Insurance Brokers. These included in-depth evaluations of OSHA required written safety programs, site inspection, fire safety inspection, safety training documentation, OSHA 300 Logs, PPE requirements, environmental labeling, and proper waste disposal.
KAR Global, Carmel, IN - December 2018 – Present
Director of ESH
- Implement EHS programs, policies, and procedures for: reporting, investigation, and analysis; resolution/outcome management; and the delivery of claim information.
- Develop and implement programs to reduce accidents, occupational illnesses and exposure to health hazards.
- Participate as a member of KAR Senior Safety Committee and provide SME related to EHS issues.
- Create and support accident-prevention and loss-control systems and programs into operational policies and procedures for the KAR Auction Services.
- Oversee EHS audits of site locations and assisting in overseeing EHS, workers’ compensation, occupational safety and related programs in conformance with Federal, State and Local regulations.
- Conducts and directs research to identify hazards and recommend controls to operational hazards. Assist with planned job safety observations, job safety analysis, disposal procedures and personal protective and other safety equipment for the purpose’s loss prevention and development of corporate standards.
- Represent and Support Company in Notice of Violation issues with governmental agencies.
SBM Site Services, LLC- March 2010 – December 2018
Global Director of EHS
- Ensures compliance with all Company and governmental safety and environmental health regulations. Directly accountable for planning, developing, implementing, and administering safety policies, programs, and training for assigned Division with over 450 operating locations in 20 states.
- Program Management of all safety related functions for SBM employees, customers, and assets against losses, injuries and accidents by directing, implementing, and overseeing the administration of safety and key loss prevention programs. Coordinate on-site management, supervisors, and employee safety training programs.
- Prevent accidents and other safety exposures by investigating, identifying causes, and developing preventative measures and practices. Report to EHS VP and Divisional Managers ongoing safety issues and safety performance.
- Mitigates risk exposure by identifying sources of safety and environmental risk and developing needed programs, policies, and procedures. Avoids legal challenges by understanding current and proposed legislation and providing safety expertise regarding legal issues.
- Identify and manage changes in national and local environmental, health and safety legislation and regulations and develop internal best practices to support the company.
Waste Management, Indianapolis, IN- July 2005 – July 2008
- Directed 85 full-time union employees and five managers at two Central Indiana sites for this world leader in Environmental Management Services. Oversaw daily operations, including maintenance, safety/risk, environmental, and customer service. Facilitated weekly meetings to coach and motivate all levels of employees. Annual revenue for both district locations was $18 million with operating earnings of over 22 percent.
- Developed and managed operational Profits and Losses (P&L) budgets for multiple lines of business. Responsibilities included: managing operating metrics, diagnosing and implementing procedures to improve efficiencies, productivity, and safety; conducting regular in-depth Strategic Business Plan reviews to make process improvements; rerouting and scheduling workloads to maximize collection efficiency; coordinating with sales staff to ensure profitability of accounts; and coaching/mentoring employees to create effective and positive working relationships.
Waste Management, Indianapolis, IN- May 2002– July 2005
Market Area Safety Manager
- Supported 18 operating locations throughout the Indiana Area Market in environmental, health, and safety discipline of Waste Management’s hauling, transfer, and recycle center operations. This included maintaining environmental, health, and safety permits and regulatory compliance of OSHA/ DOT.
- Directed and supported area operation supervisors and managers in safety compliance and risk management issues by emphasizing the prevention of accidents and injuries through safe work practices. Tracking accident trends, detailed claims management, and focusing on root cause investigations, corrective action implementation, and specific/ ongoing training accomplished this.
Specialty Transportation Services, Inc. Portage, IN- January 2000 – January 2002
Corporate Director of Risk Management
- Managed Safety and Loss Control for this large Midwest short haul Transportation Company. Created and directed loss control processes that tracked accidents, identified trends, developed root causes, implemented corrective actions, and computed financial losses. These programs reduced accident costs by over $1 million dollars in calendar year 2000 and $400,000 in calendar year 2001.
- Directed company compliance in safety, environmental/industrial hygiene, transportation and insurance. Responsibilities included: advising five regional vice presidents; establishing hiring guidelines to 15 terminal managers; managing five employees; maintaining regulatory environmental permits for local operating locations in over 30 states; managing semi-self-insured AL, GL, WC & PD claims; developing and presenting training materials for over 700 drivers to include New Hire Training, Safety Awareness Training, and required yearly Regulatory Training.
- American Society of Safety Professionals Member since 1998
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals Member since 1999 – CSP # 16057
- Insurance Institute of America – Associates in Risk Management
PRESENTATIONS 2001- PRESENT
- Granite City Steel - Granite City, IL 2001- “Site Safety Awareness and Compliance”; April - May 2001
- Waste Management - Illinois and Indiana, 2004 - “Drivers Rule Book Training”; January - April 2004
- Waste Management - Indiana, 2005 - “Safe Driving Practices”; February - April 2005
- Ryder - Indiana, 2008 - “Accident Investigation and Root Cause Training” - November 2008
- Two Men and a Truck International - Lansing, Michigan, 2009 - “DOT Compliance Training”- August 2009
- Power source Transportation - Gary, IN -“Hazardous Material Handling for CDL Operators” - November 2009
- Vermilion Power Station – Oakwood, IL – “Safety We all have Skin in the game” – December 2009
- EHS Today- Pittsburg, PA – Leadership Conference “Implementing a Safety Focus at a Safety Challenged Operation”- September 2016
- Indiana Safety and Health Conference - “Implementing a Safety Focus at Safety Challenged Operations”- March 2018